I'm feeling incredibly fortunate this holiday season for a number of reasons, and I'm incredibly grateful to have the people in my family, my friends and all the awesome fandom people on LJ in my life.
This year has been hard on just about everyone, and I'd like to wish all of you peace, joy and Christmas/Chanukah/Solstice merriment.
- Current Mood: happy
- Current Music:The Nutcracker Suite
.....aaaand this would be why I don't watch TV news. At least if I hear these things on NPR I don't have to look at their smug, lying faces. Teach me to watch CNN during my oil change instead of reading my book.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled Thursday.
- Current Mood: irate
- Current Music:Under Pressure--Queen
- Current Location:couch
- Current Mood: confused
- Current Music:npr
It was great to stretch my cooking wings a bit--I've been in a rut lately, just doing tried and true dinners, so this was a good change. And Mr. Helene always gets happy when I make any kind of pasta, so it's pretty much win/win.
This has been my random food post for the week!
- Current Location:sitting in a cloud of dogwood blossoms
- Current Mood: accomplished
- Current Music:NPR
OK, I rarely do these, but I made a resolution to be more active in LJ to deal with one of my faults: shyness. Here we go!
1. Your Middle Name: Don't actually have one. Damn you, parents!
2. Age: 38
3. Single or Taken: Married. So, so incredibly married and I was taken for a LONG time before that.
4. Favorite Movie: Lord of the Rings trilogy--extended version. Such a geek.
5. Favorite Song or Album: Current favorite song, Closer by Nine Inch Nails. Alltime favorite album, probably Ziggy Stardust, and David Bowie is never not going to be sexy.
6. Favorite Band/Artist: David Bowie and Richard Thompson
7. Dirty or Clean: Dirty
8. Tattoos and/or Piercings: Pierced ears. My husband's trying to convince me to pierce my nose.
9. Do we know each other outside of LJ? Nope, I know no one outside of LJ.
10. What's your philosophy on life? Life's too short and too hard to be deliberately mean and crappy to people. (that's more of a goal than anything else, but I try)
11. Is the bottle half-full or half-empty? Half full--I'm an incurable optimist.
12. Would you keep a secret from me if you thought it was in my best interest? Depends on who asked me to keep the secret. If I'm the one who gets to choose, I don't try to keep secrets from someone. If someone I trust asks, well, then, I'll try.
13. What is your favorite memory of us? Since I don't really know you, reading your fic, which I love.
14. What is your favorite guilty pleasure? Umm. House. And NCIS.
15. Tell me one odd/interesting fact about you: I used to perform at the Rocky Horror Picture Show in my hometown lo these many years ago.
16. You can have three wishes (for yourself, so forget all the 'world peace etc' malarkey) To be able to lose weight without going on a liquid diet, to be more outgoing, and to be able to sing.
17. Can we get together and make a cake? Absolutely, but I'm a little territorial about my kitchen.
18. Which country is your spiritual home? Italy. Florence, specifically, with an option on Rome (big classical civilization geek)
19. What is your big weakness? Laziness. I'd rather read than do anything else.
20. Do you think I'm a good person? I like to think I'm a good person. Others have disagreed.
21. What was your best/favorite subject at school? History/Anthropology
22. Describe your accent. Flatly generic american UNLESS I go home to Texas to visit, in which case I sound more southern the longer I'm down there.
23. If you could change anything about me, would you? Maybe that I'd comment more?
24. What do you wear to sleep? Nightgowns--actual nightgowns. I used to sleep naked, then we had kids..
25. Trousers or skirts? Jeans until it hits about 80 degrees and then skirts all the way, baby!
26. Cigarettes or alcohol? Alcohol, but not much of it because I'm an incredibly cheap drunk. I'm actually kind of phobic about cigarettes although I try not to be an asshole about it.
27. If I only had one day to live, what would we do together? Myself, I'd prefer to be stalking Hugh Jackman or Johnny Depp...but you could change my mind...
- Current Location:stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues again
- Current Mood: cheerful
- Current Music:NPR
In a giant fuck you from the Powers That Be--how is it that it is now possible to download Season Two of Torchwood from iTunes, when I can't get BBC America on my goddamn cable!
Is it completely crazy of me to be contemplating changing over our whole AV setup, just so I can a.) download Season 2 on to my iPod; and b.) jack the iPod into our TV (which I can't do with the current setup)? Obsess much? WHY YES!
*whines* Because, also, not only have I not seen any of season two, but I can't read any of the fic without spoiling myself.*/ends whine*
- Current Location:stuck in my head
- Current Mood: cranky
- Current Music:Nine Inch Nails, Closer
Wow. My totally awesome brother-in-law-to-be (whose awesomeness cannot be contained in the mere telling of it), just gave me the coolest thank you present EVER. He and I are both huge Eddie Izzard fans (one reason I'm glad he's marrying my sister) and he actually went out and made me a bumper sticker that says CAKE OR DEATH? Seriously. CAKE OR DEATH? Guys, I'd marry him myself for that. Except, you know, for the whole already being happily married for 13 years thing. And the kids. But, you know, otherwise.
I've got to figure out a way of making him a bumper sticker that says "I'm covered in bees!"
P.S. Y'all I just watched Quarantine for the first time and while I'm usually all about the McShep--holy shit was Ronon hot! I might actually break the "no het" rule and track me down some Dex/Keller. Recommendations?
That is all.
- Current Mood: bouncy
OK, so sometimes this journal is going to be about Stargate: Atlantis, and David Hewlett's amazing ass (seriously, guys, if I thank this fandom for nothing else, thanks for that--wow!). And sometimes it's going to be about cooking and recipes and food experiments and like that. And maybe sometimes it will be about Mr. Helene and the Demon Offspring.
On the Stargate Atlantis front, I just finished Underground and can I say how great that ep is? Love how Rodney follows Sheppard down INTO THE UNDERGROUND BUNKER against all his self preservation instincts. Also how weird it was to see Transporter Chief O'Brian in his neo-nazi getup? Yes, I just dated myself, I am old enough to have watched Next Generation AS IT AIRED.
About the food: I love to cook--and my friends and family are kind enough to say that I'm good at it. I love trying new recipes, tweaking old ones, making stuff up. So, as that happens in my life, I'll probably post about it, if anything interesting happened. Like the time I was making linguini with clams and vermouth and almost burned all my hair off. That was fun. The linguini was good, too. Tonight, I'm trying this thing with smoked paprika and mackerel and bread crumbs from a new cookbook. Should be interesting.
One administrative thing I should warn y'all about--there's probably going to be a lot of fucking profanity in this journal. I used to swear a lot, then we had kids and I had to lock it down (I dunno, I thought my three year old saying "what the hell is that?" was pretty funny. Strangely, the rest of my family didn't agree). This does not come naturally to me, so I've decided that this journal is going to be the Free Helene zone. Not that I'm going to go out of my way to curse, but I'm not going to censor myself either. Beware.
That's all I've got right now, except that if you're into SGA, you should go to sheafrotherdon's journal and share with the rest of us what you love about SGA. All the cool kids are doing it. Sorry there's no link, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
- Current Mood: geeky
So, hi everyone! This is my initial post to my brand new LJ account. I've been lurking for a few months, reading Stargate Atlantis fic and then getting in to the show a little. I'm not sure if this is going to be a read-only fandom for me or not--still too soon to tell, and frankly, there are so many amazing writers out there already, I feel a little intimidated.
I'm just now starting to watch actual episodes of SGA --I have small kids and it's completely impossible for me to actually sit down at a specific time to watch a show, so I'm downloading them from iTunes and watching them on my computer during naptime. So, in your opinion, guys, what's the slashiest episode of SGA so far? Don't worry about spoilers, I've read so much fic over the last few months that I'm completely spoiled pretty much up to the current episode.
From what I've seen so far, this is a great fandom and I'm looking forward to being more involved in it's communities.
- Current Mood: cheerful